Sunday, January 6, 2013

Big Island Part III - Best Restaurants



My favorite restaurants

If you ask my favorite restaurant on the island - I'll tell you that hands down it's Kona Brewing Company.  Located just off Ali'i in Kona, there food is, by far, some of the best on the island (especially when considering taste vs. value).  Plus you get to sample all the Kona Brewing Company Beer.   They have free Brewery Tours where you'll be treated to free samples of their beer.  My favorite thing on the menu - the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich.  YUM.   But I haven't really had anything there that wasn't ono (good).  
A little holiday cheer at KBC

Here's a list of my favorite restaurants:  

Kona

  • Huggo's on the Rock's:  great drinks and happy hour specials; excellent location; plus the kalua pork is pretty awesome
  • Humpy's:  basically I just like the location and the bar selection; they often have live music; food is ok
  • Fish Hopper:  pretty decent fish tacos 
  • Scandinavian Shaved Ice:  you MUST try the shaved ice with ice cream in the middle.  What an awesome treat!
  • Bongo Benny's:  best breakfast in town and their bloody mary is pretty great; try the eggs benny 
  • Kona Brewing Company:  Best in town.  Hands down.  Yum.  I'd recommend the buffalo chicken sandwich or Kalua pork sandwich.  They also have pizza, fish, etc...
  • Sam Choy's:  Located in the Keauhou Shopping Center, you have a great view from any place in the restaurant.  The food is excellent but a little expensive.  

Hawi

  • Bamboo:  excellent flavors but a little pricey
  • Sushi Rock:  really creative sushi rolls;  very fresh;  awesome drinks but a little pricey 

Waikoloa

  • Merrimen's:  I was not impressed.  It was over priced and the portions were wimpy.  Plus my steak was terrible.  The service was terrible.  The fish was over cooked.  I will never go back.  
  • Roy's:  bring a sweatshirt because it was a little chilly inside.  The food was great.  The drinks were great.  The Ahi Sashimi was amazing.  Expect to spend a pretty penny. 
  • Sensei Sushi:  Excellent; love it;  plus sitting at the sushi bar is a fun time 

Hilo

  • Pond's:  One of the best pieces of fish I've ever had in my life (Macadamia Nut Pesto crusted Mahi) came from this restaurant.  Unfortunately, the food isn't always consistent but when it's good, it's really good.  They have a great drink menu and during happy hour (2 - 5), the drinks aren't too pricey.  Plus it's not a bad location. 
  • Cafe Pesto:  Many people in Hilo seem to love this place.  I've been multiple times and I've never been impressed.  I'm not impressed by the menu or the food.  It's not terrible; just not spectacular.  
  • Hilo Burger Joint:  When they aren't busy, they have amazing burgers.  If they are busy, go somewhere else because the food quality suffers terribly.  They have a great beer selection and the atmosphere is great.  
  • Hilo Hawaiian Queen's Court Restaurant:  the weekend buffet is incredible!   At around $39/person, you get all you can eat seafood, prime rib, crab legs, etc... and all you can drink beer and wine.  It's not a bad deal.  
  • Big Island Pizza:  I love their pizza.  Plus the delivery is usually pretty quick and they consistently do a great job.  
  • Full Moon Cafe:  Thai food that is pretty decent.   I love the pineapple curry.  I have friends who rave about their pineapple fried rice but I haven't tried that one yet. 
  • Seaside:  most people consider The Seaside a very high-end Hilo restaurant.  I consider it extremely overpriced.  I have gotten sick from the fish there twice and will never go back.  The last time I ate there my fish was sitting in olive oil - bland, greasy olive oil.  I didn't complain - just ate my meal as I was paying around $35 for the dish.  I wish I'd just left it sitting on the plate because I was miserable the rest of the night. This happened the first time I ate there in 2010 as well.  Maybe it's just some weird fluke or just me, but I don't care to take that chance.  
  • Short 'n Sweet Bakery:  Wow - they have amazing sandwiches and pastries.  They have a BLTA (bacon, lettuce, tomato & avocado) sandwich that is probably the best sandwich I've ever eaten.  They make their bread fresh daily.  It's incredible bread.  It's just a great place to get lunch.  I wish they'd extend their hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment